You and Your MP


What do MPs do?

Members of Parliament (MPs) are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not.

They're only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency, their 'constituents'.

MPs split their time between Parliament and their constituencies. In Parliament, they attend debates, scrutinising and voting on legislation; and sit on various committees, including Delegated Legislations and Statutory Instruments which review all of the legislation that Parliament passes in line-by-line detail. They hold and attend meetings in Parliament, for example with fellow MPs to discuss matters of mutual interest; with ministers to raise cases or issues that constituents have brought to their attention; or with constituents themselves often when they’re in Parliament supporting campaign or action days. MPs are also able to use their position to question government ministers about the work of their departments. This can be done by speaking or writing directly to the relevant minister, asking oral or written questions, or even securing a debate within Parliament.

In their constituencies, MPs hold regular advice surgeries for their constituents; meet with Borough and County Council representatives to raise local issues of interest; visit local organisations, including charities, schools and businesses; and attend community events across their patch.


What can Jonathan do for you?

Jonathan always makes every effort to be as helpful to his constituents as possible and he is usually able to point people in the right direction whatever their query. However, given that he represents approximately 75,000 Woking residents, he isn't always able to dedicate as much time and attention to matters which don't fall within his purview as an MP.

As an MP, Jonathan can help you with any matters for which Parliament or Central Government is responsible. If your problem or concern relates to national-level policy and the actions of a government department (for example relating to the National Health Service, HM Revenue and Customs, the Department for Work and Pensions), then Jonathan is the right person to contact.

However, if your problem or concern is local in nature (for example relating to council tax, social services and housing, refuse collection, or local schools in Woking), then your local councillors, borough and county, are the most appropriate first port of call. You can find your local councillors at


Please note that Jonathan cannot intervene in private disputes with neighbours, an employer, or within families. Nor can he interfere with decisions made by the courts. It’s also worth pointing out that while he is usually happy to write to the local councils to ask them to look into a problem or reconsider an issue, he doesn’t have any jurisdiction over them.